GOTO WorkItem

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 15, 2007 at 6:46 PM
I downloaded the source and was able to figure out how to add a dialog to go to a specific work item. Unfortunately the way I did this was by iterating through the items in the "All Items" query, which is very slow. So 2 questions:
1. Is there a way to run custom queries against TFS?
2. Are there plans to add a GOTO WorkItem menu option (so I don't need to customize the source)
Aug 15, 2007 at 7:36 PM
I have actually been testing this solution, and the performance isn't that bad. I still think a custom query would be faster, but once the results are in memory, looping through the All Work Items query gives me results pretty quickly.
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2007 at 9:08 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Have you tried to double click on a work item to open it in the query window.?You can also create your own queries in Team Explorer. This is for now the web way to create queries. You can also use the iteration and area explorer to navigate through a query.

for the goto work item menu: what do you mean exactly ? just a windows like go to line in a source code?

Michel

moon_67ss wrote:
I downloaded the source and was able to figure out how to add a dialog to go to a specific work item. Unfortunately the way I did this was by iterating through the items in the "All Items" query, which is very slow. So 2 questions:
1. Is there a way to run custom queries against TFS?
2. Are there plans to add a GOTO WorkItem menu option (so I don't need to customize the source)

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:37 PM
I did try the double click, and it worked fine, but I had to find the work item first.

So, yes, the goto I am looking for is a very simple task (much like the goto line in source code). Present the user with a dialog with a textbox. In the textbox the user enters the Work Item ID and clicks OK. Then if that work item exists, its window is opened. Otherwise an exception message is displayed to the user.

I implemented this by looping through the Work Items in the All Items query and doing a match on WorkItem ID. But I thought a more efficient way might be to dynamically generate a TFS query that had the WorkItemID as part of the "WHERE" clause.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2007 at 11:53 AM
Hello, for your information, I added this feature in the next version of Fissum

Regards
Michel

moon_67ss wrote:
I did try the double click, and it worked fine, but I had to find the work item first.

So, yes, the goto I am looking for is a very simple task (much like the goto line in source code). Present the user with a dialog with a textbox. In the textbox the user enters the Work Item ID and clicks OK. Then if that work item exists, its window is opened. Otherwise an exception message is displayed to the user.

I implemented this by looping through the Work Items in the All Items query and doing a match on WorkItem ID. But I thought a more efficient way might be to dynamically generate a TFS query that had the WorkItemID as part of the "WHERE" clause.

Oct 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM
Thanks
Jun 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Miiitch wrote:
Hello, for your information, I added this feature in the next version of Fissum

Regards
Michel

moon_67ss wrote:

I downloaded and compiled the latest source code (Main) and don't see this dialog. How can I start it?