How easy would it be to add a different back-end repository?

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM
In our corporate setting I'd like to use a SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) list as a bug-tracking database.  This isn't as crazy as it first sounds - there's a reasonably adequate template for such a List available in the MOSS environment - it's called "Issue Tracking" - and it supports all the kinds of fields I'd expect to have to use in a small, ad-hoc development setting:
  • Title
  • Description
  • Comments
  • Assigned To
  • Issue Status
  • Priority
  • Category
  • Due Date
  • Related Issues
I really love the drop-dead easy way that Fissum allows me to create and edit issues in the Codeplex environment, and I have no equivalent WinForms (or Win32) client for managing bugs that I'd track in such a SharePoint list.

I'm not asking you to code this for me, and I'm not asking if you've ever done something like this before.  I guess what I'm most interested in hearing is how well you think the code for Fissum has been encapsulated - i.e. how generic the public methods and properties are, and whether it'd be reasonable to try to re-use the Fissum codebase to implement connectivity and functionality to a different kind of back-end data store?  While I'd prefer to leverage the kind of work that's already gone into this, I don't want to end up spending more time rewriting, refactoring and redesigning existing code than it would take just to develop something from scratch.

This is something that I'm enthusiastic enough about (at least for now) that I'd be willing to:
  • perform a detailed analysis of the Fissum codebase (if you think it's worth investigating)
  • submit "Patches" to you that would encompass the kinds of refactoring that might be necessary (to make any public methods or properties more generic to multiple data stores)
  • write the code to which the public methods and properties would call, that leads to and properly interacts with the SharePoint data-access classes
What do you think?  Is this something that would interest you?
Coordinator
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Hello Mike,

Fissum is designed only interact with a team foundation server and a team explorer. If you look at the code, you'll see that Fissum is build on top of the Team Explorer API (that's why fissum is shipped for the both version of it). You should consider working on top of  the sharepoint webservices to access to your lists and produce a similar interface. It is not as complicated as it seems.

Regards.

Michel